Friday, December 7, 2007

Rock Eater!

So Benelli likes to eat rocks! Who knew dogs could have such poor taste in menu items. Last week Benelli started to make that wonderful gagging noise that dog owners everywhere dread. I picked him up and ran into the kitchen and low and behold, he vomited up two large lava rocks! They were probably golf ball sized. Great! So two nights ago, he was lying in the couch with me and his stomache felt weird. It was kind of grinding. I realized he had swallowed two more lava rocks and they were grinding together. The next day I went out into the kennel hoping to find the remains of vomit with rocks in them. When I found nothing, I went over to Benelli and felt his little belly. Not only could I feel a lot of rocks, but I could actually hear them. It was like holding a bag of really large marbles.

Thus, my research began. I researched rock eating online and found that Benelli is not the only dog to do this. People had taken many dogs in for surgery to remove rocks and other things from their stomaches and intestines. These surgeries were running more than $1000 a piece! WHAT!

New research topic: How to make dog vomit rocks. Success! I found two ways: the first was to pour peroxide right down its throat--but make sure it does actually vomit because it can poison them--HUH! The second way was to put a 1/2 teaspoon of salt on the back of its tongue and they will vomit from drinking so much water. Yeah, I think I'll go with #2!

So I did the salt thing and he threw up his food. Wow, it worked, but where are the rocks? I tried it again. Vomit and two gravel rocks. Benelli's stomache still feels like a bag of marbles. One more try. Vomit and 6 rocks! Golly Gee Willakers!

Benelli and Misty have since been banned from the kennel until all rocks have been removed. I guess putting rocks in areas of high water flows and dogs are not a good mix.



6 bags of rocks: $25, 1 can of Morton's Iodized Salt: $1.00 Watching your dog vomit and possibly saving its life AND $1000: priceless.



P.S. I actually called the vets office and they suggested giving him canned pumpkin to get his bowels moving. As if I really wanted those rocks to go all the way through!

No comments: